TL;DR. Beware of these buzzwords. They are soul-sucking and productivity robbers. Don’t take these as personal attacks. Remember that IT Marketplace is an identity of its own. It’s a tribe thing.
- Agile — https://firstname.lastname@example.org/the-best-methodology-is-no-methodology-43db102c512c
- DevOps — read below
- a) https://medium.com/p/why-devops-is-idealism-fa9d219173e1
- b) https://medium.com/p/dev-ops-not-devops-dc1123fccd97
- Full-stack — https://medium.com/p/the-myth-of-the-full-stack-developer-d4a6ebdc5ec2
- Frameworks — https://medium.com/p/the-problem-with-frameworks-1fafa148dbad
- AngularJS — read above. AngularJS being a framework is one of the worst projects coming out of Google. Use VueJS instead.
- Java — let Steve Yegge do the rant. Use Kotlin instead (not for server-side but for Android app development)
- Continuous Integration — you don’t need CI
- TDD (test-driven development) — Do the Facebook way (move fast and break things). Don’t fall into the trap of mistaking the controlled environment for production
- Big Data — don’t fall into the trap of finding the root cause (because there’s none in a distributed system)
- Serverless computing — a marketing buzzword of AWS Lambda andIron.io and it’s a leaky abstraction (why not just use NSQ?)
- Operatorless data center — now this is the height of idiocy. Ops are not going nowhere in the data center
- APIs, APIs, APIs — don’t get us wrong. We love APIs but don’t abuse them. There is a reason why protocols are better than APIs
- Microservices — read about the difference between Web services and microservices
- Everything is a _______ — this is one of the worst you will ever hear. Antidote: read about the Goldilocks principle
- gRPC — okay, this one is subjective. At IT Marketplace, we don’t use ProtoBuf, gRPC and GIFEE. We simply use MsgPack and Docker in swarm mode writing RPC microservices and NSQ for push-based microservices. And of course, Go language.